Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Nigerian scemes

Does anyone else find it incredible that in Nigeria, and other west African countries, they have jobs for people just to scam Americans (and others) out of their money? When I worked for the bank, I found how often it really happened, and I also got sucked into a Dr. Phil program that had a special on that exact thing. (Yes, I went through a phase, okay!) Anyway, I was googling for houses up in UT, and I found a house within our price range, and checked it out. We've been looking for a while now, and are used to the fact that sellers try to hide the fact that they have townhomes. They are always trying to get a picture with a different angle, to make it look like a regular home. Back to where I was; This home was listed as a townhome, but the pictures looked spectacular. Like something that was completely out of our price range. They said that they wanted to lease it for two years while they went on a mission. I sent the guy an email, but made a point of not asking about the price. He responded almost immediately (another red flag) giving me this whole long story about why the price was so low (he wasn't in it for the money, and he wanted to give back since God had done so much for him), and what he was doing down in west Africa in the first place. He also told me that he didn't trust any realtor, so he would have to mail the keys up after the paperwork (I'm guessing he means money) went through. He told me he was a Reverend on a mission to serve God. I think he knew a little about mormons from UT and tried to play the part. Well, I don't think we go by Reverend anywhere, and I don't know too many 19 year old boys with a great house wanting someone to watch over it for them. I told Neil about it and he googled the address. Low and behold, this house was for sale, but on someone elses website, and of course with a much higher price. There was also another listing for another house, where they had the pictures stolen from another website. The telephone number was the same, but the name had changed. The program on Dr. Phil showed these people working at computers. It is like a regular 9-5 job for them. I feel bad for people that live there. Too bad the government, and anyone in power is so corrupt. I honestly would like to see how far this guy would have taken it. I know they continue to come up with incredible stories just so you will send them more money. Anyway, if ever you come across something that has to do with someone from west Africa STAY AWAY!! I understand that there are so many people down there that are in need of money, but the people that run these kind of institutions ruin it for those that really need it.

5 comments:

Nix-N-Nax Boutique said...

Hey! I am glad you found me. I love this blogging stuff. Yep... add me to your blog, and I am going to do the same with yours. Feel free to come over anytime to enjoy a little baby time:)

Lisa said...

It's sad how low people will stoop for money. I had the same type of scam on Craigslist for a car. Oh well. I just hope they get what's coming to them eventually. At least you were smart enough to catch it before you were sucked in.

Jesmyluk said...

Thanks Maggie for the heads up, its good to know you've got out backs. 80) Are you sure you have to leave us for Utah? What will we do without you?

Crazed said...

Holy Cow! I'm glad that you're on top of things! That is crazy!!

cabeandmelplus3 said...

WOW I can't believe people have the nerve to be so corrupt, not to mention that they automatically asume that we are stupid and would fall into their traps. Anyway good heads up and I'm excited for you to move to Utah.