Monday, March 17, 2008

Lost in L.A. (only most of the time)



I've been looking forward to adding this post. Neil planned a really nice anniversary getaway for us to Los Angeles, and we had a great time. I wish I had counted all the times we had to back track, because I'm sure some of you would find that humorous. I had to ask permission to post our "best" back track, it was classic. So Saturday, we had a busy day planned; so we were on a tight schedule. Neil had previously printed out all of our maps and directions to places we were going. That morning we were headed to Six Flags Magic Mountain. I've been there once before, about ten years prior, and I thought it was right off the highway. Anyway, we get off on our exit, as printed in the directions, and it seems to be taking us a little off course. We continue going where we are told heading up a winding road. And when I say "up", we keep going up a very steep drive. Being a good navigator, I just point out that this looks odd, as if we are in the wrong spot. When I finally looked at where our actual stopping point was, it says Magic Mountain. I had to ask Neil if he did put in Six Flags, or just Magic Mountain. Well, since we were headed so high up, I think we were going up a mountain called Magic Mountain. So from there we were able to call family members to get the correct directions to the theme park.

Now to the best part of the trip. Neil bought me tickets to go watch Wicked. He was being an excellent husband, because I have been telling him for a couple years now that I have wanted to go watch it. He has been watching their tour dates to see when they would be coming in our area next (which wouldn't have been for another 3 years), so he splurged and got tickets to the one in L.A. Now I am just a simpleton who is more than happy to sit in the topmost row and squint to watch the program. I was pleasantly surprised when we continued heading to the front of the auditorium to watch it from the second row. Did you know the actors use actual facial expressions? It was amazing. Yes, I am one of those nerds that will get the cd and sing as loud as I can along to it. Just ask my younger sisters. They tell me now that I am out of the house, that they hated that. I also have to share about the Jewish couple sitting next to us. Isn't it funny that you can tell someone's religion just by having a simple conversation with them. They never had to tell us they were Jewish, but sometimes, stereotypes stick out. He was talking to me almost the entire time, not in a quiet voice either, and in every topic change, money was always brought in somehow. Let's just say, he didn't like the show, and I had to defend it. I believe that show was made for a younger generation. Well, I liked it. And mom, you and I can go when it tours in Salt Lake.


8 comments:

Amy S said...

Sounds like you guys had a good time. What a good husband you have! Thats funny about driving to "Magic Mountain." So you liked Wicked? I would love to see that sometime, I have heard from others that its good.

Neil Sharp said...

Maggie left out that we got lost when we went for a walk to find a deli. Lets just say, the sun had gone down and we were in the "wrong" part of town and Maggie and I stuck out like a very, very sore thumb. We had to walk fast, but also look like we knew where we were and that we had intended to be there. We decided to take the car the rest of the trip wherever we went.

Lisa said...

So much fun!!! I'm so jealous! So, I'm bummed that you're not moving to SLC. Oh well. Hopefully we'll still get together sometime. Sounds like life is going good for you guys and your 2 girls are adorable!

Jesmyluk said...

LOL you guys are so cute! I love that you got lost. Youshould have borrowed our Magellan. We bought one before out trip to LA/San Diego with the kids in September. We are always getting lost too. P.D. likes to take the road less travelled and we always end up going "where in the heck are we?" I am so glad you had so much fun!!

Phil G. said...

First thing...you're a racist. Second thing you should buy a GPS. They are so convenient. Mine was stolen in San Fran thats how nice they are to have.

Ty and Em said...

JEALOUS!!! I LOVE Wicked! I tried to get tickets when I was in NYC two summers ago and, of course, it was sold out the entire week I was there. I, too, belt out the songs while driving in the car. Jack's a pretty good audience. Hope you had fun!

Neil Sharp said...

Ya well, after talking to my friend from LA and telling him where we were, we about an hour away from being at least mugged. He was actually suprised we weren't. Maybe the fact that I litterally was about 7 inches taller than anyone around helped. (which is why we stuck out, but Phil the racist seems to think everything is about color.) But Maggie and I did enjoy the nice aroma of urine mixed with pot that was so potent.

Anonymous said...

You stinker I love WICKED!!! Was it so amazing? You are one lucky woman!!