Tuesday, October 5, 2010

In response

What a lovely conference weekend we had, right? And what would conference be without some group trying to demine and spin everything our authorities have to say? It happens everytime, and yet the church hasn't come out with any new doctrine. We seem to get the same lessons every six months.
I've been reading a lot of comments that are directed toward President Packers talk, which seem to me have been taken entirely the wrong way. Yes, he did say that acts of homosexuality are immoral and unnatural. Again I ask, anything new? Not really. But on the other hand, I did listen to his talk and while they may have been a little harsh, these words are taken out of context. If only the people angry over his remarks had listened to the entire talk and realized what love and hope eminated from it. I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but I'm getting angry over something I have zero control over, so I must voice my opinion. Isn't that the beauty of blogs? Say whatever I want, and not get judged for it. You can choose to skip over it (sometimes how I deal with Neil's political rants), or take it for what it is.
I love the argument that God made us like this so we must accept it. This may be the gospel according to Maggie, but I do believe at least part of that is true. God did make us all unique and special, all with our individual talents, along with our flaws and trials. We all know that no one among us is perfect, but what does that constitute? We make mistakes, surely. But we all have different things that cause us problems. I believe that people with homosexual tendencies really are affected, and it isn't by choice. I know too many good people to try to deny it. I believe that the apostles know this as well. There are good people out there who struggle, but I felt his talk was directed to them. Not to chastise them, but to tell them that there still is hope. God loves all his children, especially those struggling to make the right choice. And yes, I do believe family is the right choice. Where some might not think that homosexuality is a sin, but only something given to them, homosexuality does not bring on family. That is what is unnatural about it. Can anyone deny that the laws of nature can only be acheived between a man and a woman? Recently it seems the church has become more open with these types of tendencies and addictions. They are offering help wherever they can.
Every conference I listen to talks on love and acceptance. Why is one comment out of thousands made throughout the weekend, meant to outshine the others? Every 6 months they ask us to repent and do better each day, but I don't believe this is to tear us down and make us feel bad about ourselves. On the contrary, I believe is to uplift us, and help us to want to be better. "Better" is the only to way to truly be happy. I do know that my frustration also comes from the fact that I do know what makes me truly happy. It isn't giving in the whims that will make me temporarily happy, but it's my family. The gospel has given me hope to know that I can have my kids forever. Neil may drive me crazy at times, but it gives me joy to know that he is mine forever. We have been given such a marvelous gift, and I do feel sorry for those that choose not to use it. I don't intend for my comments to come off harsh, but sometimes they do. I haven't been given the gift of speech and use of words. I tend to be a little gruff, but what can I say? That is the way God made me :).
I know that all of the authorities and apostles especially know this. They know what brings on happiness, and the only way they can help those around them, is to ask them to be better. To seek help if needed, because it's there.
There you have it folks, my longwinded explanation for comments made. I know he doens't need my help, but I couldn't let my voice go unheard. If you have any thoughts on the matter, please share!

4 comments:

Jodi and Jason said...

good job maggie, that was perfectly said! It's irritating when people try to say that since some people have these natural homosexual feeling they shouldn't have to fight those feelings. It's a temptation just like every other temptation that we have to overcome, and everyone has certain temptations that are harder than others. ALSO, conference was awesome! And thank you maggie for opening your home to my hubby and brothers for the weekend!

wittygal said...

Applause for Maggie! I will be on the look at for your book.

Tygards said...

let it out!

Anonymous said...

Great blog really enjoyed reading it. Have bookmarked you and will check back regular. Please feel free to take a look at my blog...
Cheap Flights to Nanjing
Flights to Nanjing
Nanjing Flights to