Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Beijing Olympics


I have to say that I am tired of the Olympics. I probably should be glad I'm saying this on my computer, and not in person, because I might get punched. I just think NBC is doing an awful job at broadcasting. I usually love watching the Olympics, but come on! If I have to watch the same gymnastics routine I might throw up (okay that may be happening for other reasons). We get to watch close ups on these poor girls' faces as they wait for each new routine. I mean, these are all recordings (anyone else like the constant "live" on the top of the screen), couldn't they even show highlights of stupid sports? Come on, badmitton, fencing, archery. I know there are plenty. I love how they get the athletes on camera for over five minutes at a time, and they will give a smile and a wave, and then they have to pretend that the camera isn't there anymore. They are doing everything they can just to avoid another run in with the camera. So, since I am so bored, but am determined to watch anyway (I feel partially unpatriotic if I change the channel) these are the things I am noticing and getting a kick out of. Maybe some of you have seen some of the same things and can share. First, I loved the hug that Usain Bolt got, not only from his mother and other family members, or even those of his same country, but from the Chinese spectators. I loved how excited they got, and how Bolt couldn't even get away from it. You could see him prying their arms away, just so he could go pose for more pictures. I know these seem so insignificant, but they make me laugh. I also noticed the kiss the Alicia Sacramone got from one of the Romanian (maybe Russian) gymnasts. It started out as the usual- a kiss to both cheeks. That was when the American started to walk away, but the Romanian wasn't done. She held onto Alicia and tried to search for a cheek to kiss again. It was awkward, but so funny! So random. I love that I can rewind it and make sure Neil saw these awkward moments, too. I wish you were all here, so I could show you as well.
But now I am going to enjoy my long weekend. Neil's family is in town to send David off on his mission, and now that he is gone, Brenda took the girls away to Park City for the weekend. Happy Birthday, Mike. haha. My cell phone will be turned off, until probably around 10 or 11 tomorrow morning. I get to sleep in, guilt free for the first time in probably four years. Hooray!! I hope all you mothers are jealous. Yes, I have already realized how great my mother in law really is. I don't know who she loves more, my girls, or me.

6 comments:

cabeandmelplus3 said...

Ok Maggie you are so funny I love all the olympics, Caleb and I have or DVR set to record everythingg and I am way overwhelmed at the amount of events showing! Yeah like "table tennis??" I didn't even know this was an olympic sport. We have been trying to watch as much as we can and frankly I am sick of it! I can't wait to watch my regular shows! Well sounds like you are going to have a nice night..what a wonderful mother in law. It was fun seeing you we need to do dinner or a bbq or something. Talk soon

The Bluths said...

I totally noticed the awkward kiss too and had to rewind it to show to Ethan as well. So funny!

Lisa said...

Yeah- I agree! I personally got sick of all the swimming. I mean, seriously. And when USA won the relay, and all the commentators could talk about was how they did it for Michael Phelps?? I just wanted to smack them! Can't wait for Rachael Ray and Jay Leno to be back! :) And. . . quick question . . . you said you'd be throwing up for "other reasons." Do you have any response to that???

Crazed said...

I am So Jealous, Maggie!!! Have lots of fun... doing nothing!
Lisa... I had no idea people actually watched Leno!!

Dad said...

Just ask Shauna, I got so sick of the "live" coverage that we got from NBC!! I would constantly complain . . . since I could look up the results on the internet and brag to Shauna that I could "predict" the winner of the race . . . I should have been doing it for money!! Of course, Shauna is the only one around that I could bet . . . and after a few days, she finally caught on, hehehe!!! Maggie, I'm happy that you finally got some sleep!!

Jenna said...

I totally remember the awkward kiss, That would be the worst part about competing, having to pretend to be happy for everyone. Especially those that are not competing for your country. I enjoyed the Olympics but there sure was a lot of down, wasted time.