Thursday, July 17, 2008

reality tv and shows not really for kids

So I have to say hooray for all of my silly reality tv. This is my first (from start to finish) season of So you think you can dance-and I love it! I could scream like Mary Murphy, but she is the reason tivo is so great. I don't have to hear her. Project Rungay is also back, and another one I am excited for. The other one we watch is Last Comic Standing. Did anyone watch a couple weeks ago with Marcus (the guy from West Jordan, UT) talking about Willy Wonka and how it wasn't necissarily a kids show? His parents would watch the first few minutes with him, and then thinking it was safe, they would leave him alone with creepy Gene Wilder and that was when the show went wrong and scary.

We experienced this with our kids this week. We netflixed The Spiderwick Chronicles for the girls. We actually watched the whole thing with them, but I will get back to that later. It started nice enough, but then goblins and trolls came out, and even the good guys were a bit scary. We would have turned it off, but the girls were so entranced by it, and also we had to let them know that things turned out all right in the end. Poor Isabel even screamed and jumped behind me at one point, but she was the one fighting for me to let her stay downstairs to watch it. The next day, Abby told me that she had a nightmare, about the scary spiders and that I made her stay downstairs in the dark to watch it by herself. Am I a mean mom or what? So here is your warning-don't make your kids watch it alone in the dark.

On a side note, they watched this one easier than they did Wall-E. We took Abby as a treat, because she is finally keeping her bed dry at night!! But the poor girls were bored to death by that movie. It definately wasn't made with kids in mind. It was more like Happy Feet with the "saving the penguins" at the end, but slightly less obnoxious. (Don't get me wrong, I love penguins, sort of like, I'm not racist, I love black people. (I hope you all understand my humor))Anyway, the only thing to keep the kids near us, was the popcorn and soda. I thought the movie was cute, but we really did go with the girl's in mind. That is all my ranting. Go watch some tv and tell me what you like.


8 comments:

Neil Sharp said...

Reality tv will be even better when the ultimate reality comes back..."The Office". It's actually probably less scripted than most reality shows.

I was glad you let Abby stay and watch Spiderwick, it gave ME someone to hide behind.

WallE at least realized that maybe there is some compromise in the world. I loved in Happy Feet that you either believed that we can't even go near the penguines or you want them all to suffer horrible deaths. Wall-E showed what can happen when people get lazy and don't take care of themselves or the planet. But if you notice, it's not scientifically correct. It's 700 years in the future and the planet isn't a heatball of fire. Oh, wait it is scientifically correct, it's just not AlGorefically correct. Do you think Bob Iger and Steve Jobs were scratched from AlGore's Christmas card list for showing what would really happen if we pollute our planet? And that the planet could still overcome our negligance?

The Bluths said...

I totally need to do a post like this, I watch way too much tv not to.

grandma nina said...

Sonya and I have both yelled yeah, when Project Runway started. I sooooo love it. I don't know if the
Amazing Race is going to be on again, but I love it too. If they don't have stupid people on it. How about Project Runway this week when the diaper thing "girlalicious" came out. And then when the white trash garbage bag thing came out. I so totally hated both of those things more than the shower curtain. I did like the winner and the other two things with blue cups and the yellow thing with the kale and tomato broach (?). My verification word is srpypu (syrup poo?)

Jennifer Lyn said...

I am also a huge fan of 'So You Think You Can Dance.' The world stops for me on Wed and Thur. My current fav is the girl from Utah, is it Chelsea? She is so dang good. And some of those guys can kick/leap higher than me. It isn't fair.
Your kids are super cute and I love the pics.
Oh, and to answer your question about my dad. He is still going to teach at Poky, but he is going full time history. He turned 50 this year and is tired of building set, lights, whining students, etc. Plus he wants more time to do what he wants like visit grandkids (my kids are the only ones:) So for the first time in our lives, we feel like we have a dad. It is a great thing and we are proud of him for moving on.

Ty and Em said...

Okay, so this little "scary movie" episode reminds me of third grade when your mom dropped us off at the theater to see "Ernest Scared Stupid" for your birthday. We kept having to leave the theater because we were scared shizless. That's what happens when a crazy tree monster is turning kids into dolls carved out of wood.

I saw Spiderwick... surprisingly loved it.

Jenna said...

I've never watched too many shows, just one or two every season. This summer I've been watching "The Mole' and I've really liked it! It's like a cool spy movie. I loved your story about the Spiderwick Chronicles. I can totally see myself doing something like that.

Crazed said...

HA! This is funny in so many ways. I love that mom totally left you and Emily at the movie alone. Completely agree about Gene Wilder... so creepy! Now I have to admit I took my kids to Lemony Snicket! That is the worst! The poor kids were left with a guy that wanted to kill them! And then he wanted to marry the older girl... all the adults that were there to help them were completely aweful and not helpful. So if you really want your kids to freak out... that is a doozy!

New Beginnings. said...

cute kids Maggie!!!